So here we are two days after we've returned and ready to blog. Mostly. We're tired. We didn't sleep but like 3 hours Saturday night (I just found out this afternoon that apparently I was hallucinating at church on Sunday, the morning we returned... I was really tired), we've been staying up until 1 or 2 a.m. and getting up at 7, and taking naps in the afternoon (hence the 1 or 2 a.m.). Very tired. I had no idea we'd feel this much jet lag...we didn't feel any going over there.
But alas, you aren't here to hear about our sleeping patterns. I'll go through day by day. So here we go...
Saturday: we got to Honolulu around 5pm, the Vinsons picked us up at the airport and we headed out for some authentic Hawaiian fare. "Plate lunches" are apparently a big thing on the islands, which as far as I can gather is basically a meat or sandwich or something with two scoops of rice and a scoop of macaroni salad. Yep, that's it. And it's good. I think all we did the rest of the night was sleep.
Sunday: we got up and went to church with the Vinsons. So when they lived on Oahu, the Vinsons went to this church that has since moved to "the other side of the mountains." Apparently Oahu is split right down the middle by a mountain range. To get from Honolulu to where the Vinsons used to live (and to where the church now is) it takes about 30 minutes. Anyway, we pull up to the church and we're at the bottom of this valley—right at the bottom of these mountains...
Crazy. The mountains on Oahu are absolutely stunning. They look like they have a lush, gorgeous blanket covering them. It's amazing.
Anyway, after church we went drove around part of the island. We saw several gorgeous beaches, surfers and a whale off in the distance. As you can tell, it was a bit overcast on this side of the island (apparently the sides of the island can have completely different weather) and thus we didn't stay on any of the beaches we passed.
After that, we went to the Dole Platation.
Look at these tiny little pineapples! We learned that pineapples take 18 months from seed to first fruit, and each plant only gets two plants in its lifetime.
Daniel and I and another pineapple.
And there's Mary and Braxton, too.
Oh! and we got this amazing stuff called Dole whip that had real pineapple pieces on it, too. It was super, super yummy. (Daniel's making a really weird face. And there's Braxton in the background...)
The we got back to the hotel and Daniel and I went to the beach.
This is the first time we got a good look at Diamond Head, an apparently pretty famous mountain (no, make that volcanic crater) on Oahu that I knew nothing about until our trip.
My dad was on Oahu in 1971 during Vietnam and got this picture of him on Waikiki beach with Diamond Head in the background:

This is Daniel and I trying to recreate it and obviously not doing a great job (we hadn't seen the picture yet)...but honestly I'm not sure how dad was on this beach with it so empty. This is an incredibly famous beach that is covered with people in 2009. So this was our best picture of me and Diamond Head, but regardless, its the same volcanic crater that we're standing in front of. And maybe next time we'll get a better picture :)
Sunday night the Vinsons had a dinner to go to at a persons house so Daniel and I were alone for the evening. We walked over to Waikiki—which is incredibly ritzy by the way—ate dinner and walked on the beach. It was really dark, so this is the only picture we got, and this time I get the award for creepy face...
Monday: We spent the day Monday back on the beach. Daniel, Braxton and Ken went out on boogie boards while I read and looked out at the ocean.
But it was just Germany's next top model winner walking a runway. She walked up and down the runway and did this pose over and over and over.
Oh and lots of weddings. Lots of weddings in Hawaii...
Monday night Braxton, Daniel and I walked back to Waikiki, ate dinner, and walked around. We saw our first hula dancers...but in a mall. Still, pretty neat.
Tuesday: Tuesday morning Braxton, Ken, Daniel and I drove around another part of the island and saw some more gorgeous views...
And then we climbed a mountain...
Once we got to the other side of the mountain we climbed, you could look back and see the lighthouse.
The beach we ended up on was absolutely gorgeous...
Including a drive up on top of a high mountain overlooking half of the island.
Wednesday: Wednesday Daniel and I went snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, which is apparently the best on the island (and got ourselves familiar with the island's bus system, which was an adventure). We had an underwater camera, but unfortunately we haven't developed the pictures yet, so you don't get to see them just yet. We were back at the beach that afternoon and out to dinner that night...no pictures. But I did get this picture off our balcony...it's the best I could do without a tripod, but the moon's amazing.
Thursday: Daniel and I got back on the buses and headed out to Pearl Harbor. Daniel had seen this before when he came here when he was young, but I never had. There's a museum and overlooks explaning the events of that day, and then you watch a movie and take a boat out to the memorial, which is actually over the sunken ship.
That afternoon we spent our last day on the beach, and then ate dinner with the Vinsons. Again, no pictures, but this is at sunset from our balcony...
Thursday night, Friday and Saturday were the days of the conference. We don't have any pictures from it, so there's not much to show, but the conference itself was amazing. Lots of really good speakers and great moments and we both learned a lot. However, it's late and I'm determined to go to bed at a reasonable hour tonight, so I'll stop here...that was Hawaii!!
3 comments:
Your pictures are great and the beaches looked absolutely beautiful! I'm glad ya'll had a good time!
I'm so jealous! Miss you guys...
Hi kids, I've been sick with the flu and am back at work slowly. Looks like you all had a great time in Hawaii and it was great for you to be invited by the Vinsons. What wonderful people the are. The weather looked like it was in your favor too. Sorry you had jet lag but it is a long trip. Much love, Grandmother Monroe
Post a Comment