Saturday, March 7, 2009

aloha!

we leave for hawaii tomorrow.

what? you didn't know we were going to hawaii? don't worry, we really didn't either.

okay, not so much true, but it really snuck up on us.

its a bit of a long story, but the family daniel lived with in D.C. has generously offered us a chance to go to a Christian conference they put on each year in Honolulu. plus we get the 4 or so days before the conference just to be in hawaii. we're super excited...and it's slowly sunk in that it's actually happening. it will be my (kirsten's) first time to hawaii and daniel's second. we've got reed's camera, reed's sister cindy's snorkeling gear, and (finally...sooo last minute) peaople all lined up for nickel.

and we've been hula dancing around the house for a couple of days now in preparation...

we'll try to keep you updated while we're there, mostly just to make you insanely jealous. we're hoping for lots and lots of beautiful, warm sun, sand and water. yayyy!! and it's supposed to nearly snow here in portland...



and just as a sidenote, since my mother-in-law will probably want to see (and maybe others?), i had decided a few months ago that i really like these: vera bradley toiletries things.


but they're pretty darn expensive and i'm not obsessed with any "patterns." plus, i feel like i gave vera enough money while i was in high school, but i know what i paid was a tiny fraction compared to many...

anyway, i decided i could make my own. i thought about the dimensions for a bit and what i would do, and then when debbie and ron were here like a month or so ago, debbie had one and so i took a good hard look at hers.

and this is what i came up with...


i'm actually super happy with how this turned out. and it was one of the first things in a while that i've made without a specific pattern, which makes one think in a different way and is really fun. so here it is, my new toiletries bag. thanks for watching :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

aloha...

My daughter-in-law is soooo talented! I'm very proud of her. And how convenient to have someone in the family that can make anything I want!

Have fun in Hawaii, you two. Tell the Vinson's hello from me and send lots of pictures (be careful with Reed's camera!)
Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

How cool! You are so awesome. I'm jel.

AND HAWAII?! Even more jealous... Take TONS of pictures and update as SOON as you get back, because I want to see everythinggg!

Miss ya'll! Have so much fun!

TwoQuilicos said...

love your bag! i want to be like you :)
have so much fun in hawaii and can't wait to see pics. be safe monroes!

Anonymous said...

I'm completely jealous of ya'll right now, since you're in HAWAII!!! But, I hope you have an awesome trip and can't wait to see pictures!

Anonymous said...

WELL........I miss reading the blog for only a short time and what do I find? A trip to Hawaii AND a new toiletry bag!!!! Have fun in Hawaii!! And Kirsten I am so VERY impressed with the toiletry bag.....you are so talented!

Anonymous said...

So, I miss reading the blog for a few days and forget how to type my name, too!!!! I am no longer Anonymous...

Anonymous said...

I want one of those bags! (You know I'd get a lot of use out of it, too) How much are they going for? I'm serious. I've been using Johanna's old vera bradley one that's like 10 years old and stained.