Saturday, November 8, 2008

Happy Birthday Bobbie!!

Today is our/my grandmother's birthday! (Kirsten's dad's mom...)

I call my grandmother by her first name, and I don't really know why; but again, I'm sure it has to do with my cousin, who's older.

Bobbie has the unique privilege of having her birthday so closely follow mine and so she really never gets her card on time (including this year...). But, since we get to see this part of the family only once a year, at Thanksgiving, she also has the unique privilege of seeing me (and a few other important people) just after her birthday!!
My grandmother is absolutely wonderful. There are barely words. She's classy and timeless and yet still very "country" and comforting. She's beautiful in every way. Plus, she makes an incredible Thanksgiving meal that I start craving around July.

Bobbie's a true socialite — she makes friends with everyone, including Daniel's entire family during our wedding — and a true servant. I'm not sure anyone anywhere has put in more hours cooking for her church.

Some famous stories include me being two and my parents going to Europe for like a month while my grandparents came and took care of me. And when we went to go greet my parents at the airport when they came back, the first thing I said (or something) was that I wanted french fries — a food group my grandparents had introduced me to. Also, when my cousin Aaron and I were a lot younger, I used to spend summers with them and Bobbie would tell us to go play in "yonder" when we would start getting in the way. If you're not from Texas you might not know that "yonder" is actually Texan for "over there," but Aaron and I were convinced that it was the name of the room (like go play in the "kitchen") and started calling that room the yonder room...
And I love this picture. I think it's gorgeous. Bobbie doesn't so much — something about "old hands," but think I will cherish it forever :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOBBIE!
We love you and will see you soon!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOBBIE!!
Hope you have a wonderful birthday.
I enjoyed meeting you both at the showers & wedding of our Grandchildren, which was beautiful, you both were so friendly and easy to talk to was good to meet you. We love Kirsten so much and glad to have her as part of our family.
Grandmother Monroe

Anonymous said...

What a beautful family you have. Tell Bobbie she looks like a slim Paula Dean. Happy birthday to all. Janie Moran at Grandmother Monroe's work.

Anonymous said...

i think she looks like paula deen too! i was getting on here to write that and realized that someone had beaten me to it :)
love to the monroe's!!!!! see you soon!

Anonymous said...

not sure why that posted as "arkansas valley". it was leslie :)