We headed out to Corbett and celebrated our freedom like a true Corbett-er! First was the Annual Corbett 4th of July Parade, which as far as I can tell is the single greatest moment of the year for many of the people of Corbett. The parade is everything you could expect from a small town. Lots of old cars (and a few cars that have no business being in any parade like - I kid you not - a late 90s chevy pickup) and several tractors, pulling several trailers filled with softball teams, boy scouts and the like.

There were 2 obvious highlights: First was the kid on the Pogo stick. He wasn't affiliated with any float, he was just a kid on a pogo stick, and boy could this kid go! He was jumping rope at one point!

The second was a couple of tractors carrying porta-pottys. That's right. Portable crappers just cruisin down the street. Nothing says freedom like the ability to go the bathroom anywhere!

The parade was tons of fun mostly because we watched it with tons of great friends. We cooked out lunch afterwards and hung around for a few hours before heading home to let our dog out before heading back to Corbett for a nightcap of letting freedom ring.

Our evening consisted of spending WAY too much time at the Corbett Fun Festival, which I have to say was a little light on the "fun" and not entirely heavy on the "festival" even this year.

There honestly wasn't much to see or do at all, which was a disappointment... But we ended up throwing a frisbee around and talking to some friends before the fireworks that night. And I will say that for a small town, Corbett has some pretty big fireworks. I do have to say that I did NOT hear any Lee Greenwood which to me is more than a little communist on the 4th of July, but other than that we had no complaints about the show.
It was really fun for us to spend a holiday out with friends, remembering last July 4th when we still didn't have a job, or know anyone in Portland not named Monroe. We definitely feel blessed to have found the community we did out here!
2 comments:
I agree,you couldn't have found a better place to do the work that you are doing and they love you both so much.
Just wish it was nearer Ga.
Love, Grandmother
I'm not ANONYMOUS I'm Grandmother Monroe. I hit the wrong key! Of course!!
Post a Comment